At one point I experimented with using a book - an old book from the Antique Bookshop in Bath (to suit the 'time' and place of the piece) - and had the idea of paper wheels dropping out of it at one point to make it into a 'train' carriage. I rejected the idea as I didn't like the distance created between myself and the audience when I started the piece reading. As the 'paper' idea developed I also felt the new method was stronger.
I have now had the idea to have a pre-cut 'train track' in the suitcase, which during Moira's moment of remembering (the music section after the 'dance') is pulled out and layed along the stage. The suitcase is then carried gently over the track, as if it is a train, as if the bag is going where Moira really wants to, but can't seem to let herself. The track is delicate (made of the same newspaper) and fragile and although a nervous moment for me, (whether it will rip or not as I pull it out) I really like the tenderness it can evoke when done well (a comment given after a friend watched this moment in rehearsal.)
This is one of my favourite moments in the piece.
Thursday, 11 June 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment