Thursday, 11 June 2009

Evaluation


Firstly, I have really enjoyed the process of making this piece. It has been a struggle at times but I am actually incredibly proud of the outcome. It is my favourite of all the pieces I have made.

I have worked independently on this project with peer feedback. Carly Etherington and Eleana Alexandrou especially were brilliant in watching the piece and giving me confidence in my ideas and helping me address any problems I was having.

I feel more confident in my abilities to create and develop an idea to an outcome I can then be proud of.

I have rejected material and considered each and every element of the performance - set, costume, props, colours, lights, sound, text, movement. I can confidently say that not one thing you can see in the performance has not been thought about. I believe all elements of a performance communicate to the audience and I wanted to acknowledge this. I am aware that certain parts of my aesthetic are from different time ranges, for example my modern coat and 1960's music...but although I have drawn on the past (in my mind 1930's) I always wanted to achieve a different world, and a timeless place. By combining these elements I feel I have created a warm and pleasing aesthetic which achieves this to some degree.



In this piece I have been inspired by a range of other artists, in the dance and theatre world but also in the world of writing and art. It is important to me as a creator of work to draw influences from a wide area of creativity and to be well rounded in my knowledge of these.

I feel the performance went well, although it is a bit of a blur now, which suggests, I hope, that I was fully in the moment. From watching video footage I feel that I responded well to challenges such as my music in the suitcase being too quiet (although audible to the audience I would have liked it a little louder). This occured as the bag was bashed around during the performance before the music moment and the volume switches on the speaker were pressed. This had not happened before.

However, the volume being this low apparently pulled the audience's focus in further, which is what I wanted to achieve.




I am going to keep working on this piece. I would like to make the movement stronger, to strengthen the highlights of the piece. Currently I intend to rework the solo into a duet, with two characters waiting for the train in the same place but in their own worlds. I will then explore the moments when these two worlds collide. I am excited about this project and look forward to working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment