I am keeping my movement fairly simple with moments of explosive energy which represent the battles going on inside Moira. For example, after the opening and first part of text, I have a pause before I fall to the floor as if from nowhere and then continue speaking.
Another moment like this is where I am standing with the suitcase next to my head, holding on to it as if it is a handle on a train held by standing passengers. I have my cheek pressed against the bag and my arm slowly comes up to the top of the bag, where it pauses before crashing down on top and causing a sweeping arm movement with the bag and a slide and jump.
I have decided to revisit the 'head in the suitcase' idea. I have a section where Moira remembers a dream she has about dancing, where she gets lost in her thoughts and puts the bag down, walking along the stage before realising she cannot leave. She then turns and runs back to the bag, falling to the floor and pushing her head inside of it. I had the idea of using sound on-stage, so coming from inside of the suitcase, and then when she puts her head inside the place the sound is coming from, it switches to coming out of the main speakers. This is to plunge the audience into Moira's world, and to evoke the sense that they are hearing what she is.
The 'head in the suitcase' moment is really the peak of the 'action' with Moira coming out of the bag after the music fades and looking at the audience almost apologetically. She then says the line 'Oh, I have to catch my train.' I would like to find a sound effect of a train arriving, stopping, then departing again so that the audience can really see that Moira can't really leave this place.
Thursday, 11 June 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment